Friday, May 4, 2007

Social Outcast


My recent trip to KL was fun but something awkward did happen. It was the day of my scholarship interview at Taylor’s College in Petaling Jaya and my friend, X accompanied me there. As we arrived by taxi, I realized that X acted somewhat rigid and look very uncomfortable. I didn’t ask much since I was quite nervous about the whole interview, so I let it be…

But things got worse. We were walking around campus trying to find my interview venue which was at Level 5 of Block B3 and I wanted to go up and look around since it’s still early, so I walked towards the escalator.

Suddenly, X turned to me and said “Why don’t we try the lifs?”.

Instinctively, I asked him “What’s the difference of using the escalator and the lifts. Since the escalator is near, why not use it?”. X kept quiet, but I knew something was bothering X.

20 minutes had passed and we still couldn’t find the place, so I called Emily who was in charged of the scholarship interview. She told me to meet her at the reception which happened to be nearby. I told X that we have to go to the reception and X asked me whether he can just wait for me outside. Can you imagine that?

So I asked X “Why wanna wait outside? Damn hot. Inside got air-con ma.” X kept quiet again.

By then I was quite pissed of by X’s sudden stubbornness. So I told X to spill-it-out and tell me what the problem is.

And X said “So many rich kids studying here, feel so stressed la. Can’t seem to fit in with them”.

“Are you intimidated by them? That’s like so dumb. Who cares if they are rich, they are still human. If you feel that it’s a big deal, then act rich la.” I said, a bit taken aback by X’s low self-esteem and realizing that the escalator and reception area are full of loitering students.

But X insisted on waiting outside and I gave up persuading him. After my interview, X seemed more relaxed and we went for lunch at Bar BQ Plaza. We had a mutual agreement to not argue about his strange behavior anymore. Sigh…X should be more confident

This incident got me thinking not only about self-esteem, but also about stereotyping certain people or places or issues. So it’s a private institution or private college, but that doesn’t mean that it’s only for the rich and famous. Many are scholarship holders, if you really have what it takes, nobody cares about your financial background. However, I found that most Malaysians do stereotype a lot of stuff.

I experimented by wearing a singlet, shorts and sneakers for a day out at Time Square and everybody was staring at me, some whispered to their friends and some even giggles behind my back. All this time, those same people were acting seemingly normal towards a European tourist who has the same dress code as mine. Why? People stereotypes. It’s okay for foreigners to wear like that, but it’s not normal for me to do the same? What freakin’ rule is this?

Don’t judge others by their appearance or environment. I don’t think we have the right to categorize other people into groups. And if everyone is as easily intimidated as X, then everyone will be a social outcast.

“Don’t think people are stupid by how they look, because if they are geniuses, they’ll say how stupid you are to think of them that way. Who’s stupid now?”

6 comments:

apple-rainbow said...

yaya...don't worry...i will keep my mouth shut...this is the reality...stereotype? ppl r like that d...they think they r always right...n if u r different from d others...something will happened...=)

Paupau said...

lolz..i don't like m'sia is like that lo..i wore only t-shirt,jeans and slippers already let Kl ppl say liao lah..so won't feel surprised if you wear like that..who cares?we syok ma can liao lor.wanna please ppl then go ahead nia mer.you'll rugi at the end only.=)!

i just love Melbourne a lot.muahaha..they don't even care you at all..our teachers wore a plain shirt and jeans/short pants with sports shoes to teach us..how cool is that..muahaha...bleh..=p!

p.s : there's a wide variety of clothes for you to choose from.suits you a lot.i'm sure you're gonna spend over RM1000 if you buy them..muahahaha..=p

Iwan said...

OMG Nard!! I love this entry!! Actually its kinda of deja vu for me.. U know this place where i am studying rite, 80% of it consists of rich spoilt brat kids..

I am not saying that i am rich lah but like u said, people like to stereotype.. Whenever u tell ppl that u studied in this school, it gave an impression to ppl that u are one rich kid..

And i tink having that kind of tot is so wrong... And in my school, u know what, my classmates always comparing their wealth among each other, what kind of houses they live, the types of cars they owned, compared credit cards...

Well, even tho if i am rich, i wont do this kind of stuffs...

To some ppl, i may be rich but whenever i am with my clasmates, i feel so poor.. But i dun give it a heck.. This is my life..

Rich or poor, its my life.. So long we are happy in life, it doesnt matter whehter u are rich or poor lor..

I tink i can understand ur fens feelings..

Dun blame him lah...

Cheers mate!!

leonard leao said...

To apple-rainbow,

yea...as my ex classmate u should know how i feel towards all these stereotype stuff...haih...dunno la...just wanna try new things...don wanna be a wannabe...

leonard leao said...

To Pauline,

What u wear also kena said ar? Then i think i already kena tagged as "weirdo" lo...hahahaha...yala...i don care what ppl say la...i syok then i wear la...but then cannot wear those avant garde stuffs la...Yakah? Waliu...hafta put Melbourne in my shopping destination list liao...thanks for the pointer!

leonard leao said...

To Iwan,

Seriously? Wow, those people at ur school are totally overdoing it la man...sometimes i also feel bad la...cause people said the college i'm going to is for rich brats and they are there to only have fun and get a degree easily just to work with their dad's company or sumthing like that...imagine what my parents will think if they heard about this kinda lifestyle...they might think i'll be influenced. Hahaha...X and I are ok la...maybe i'm so emo that day because of the interview la...we'll always b friends. Only true frieds tell the truth, no?