Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Baking Spree!

The holiday is over and I'm back in campus and the blogsphere...just did the Moral Studies presentation on punctuality...was OK...not that great and not a total flop too...
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
My one week in Kedah was utterly boring...not being able to drive (I got no license...(T_T)...) and what with the rains...not that I hate the rains...I LOVE rainy days...just that when I'm bored, it's a tad bit depressing...sigh...IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Anyway, I managed to get myself working and started my very own baking spree during the holidays...lol...
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
The first thing I made was a Chocolate Cake with Meringue Frosting. The cake was quite easy, just that I had to replace cake flour with multi-purpose flour which made the texture a bit dry...
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
The hard part is the frosting...it's my own invention actuality...lol...I chanced upon the possibility of making frosting out of unbake meringue...but I can't seem to get the same consistency this time round and the frosting tends to solidify really fast, making it hard to ice the cake.
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
But still, it's eadible...just that it was kinda too sweet...well, once a while right? Hehehehe...
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIii
My second baking endeavour was an Apple Crumble Gallet (correct spelling anyone?). It's just like any other pie just that this one didn't require a pie tin, so there's less hustle when getting the pie out of the baking tray. This was inspired by Martha Stewart's Rhubarb Pie...since we don't actually have rhubarb here...so..apple is the chosen filling...
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
The crumble didn't turn out to be as crunchy as I'd expected. I guess the butter and brown sugar must have melted by the time they were ready to be use as I had pre-made it to save time...lol...
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
After the pie, I continued the baking spree with a Coconut Cream Cake, it's a variation of the Chocolate cake actually, just swap the melted chocolate with dessicated coconut...
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Oh, but please make sure you cut down the butter used in the recipe as dessicated coconut will produce oil when baked at high temperature. You don't wanna get an oily cake!...hahahahaha...
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
I thought of ending the baking spree after 3 days of non-stop baking action, but then Leh Bin requested that I bring some back for my coursemates. I didn't wanna make a complicated recipe as I was running out of ingredients and time as it's about time for me to come back to college too...so I decided to make Raisin Cake for them...
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
One tips that I got from Bill from the cooking show Bill's Food is to soak raisins in orange juice overnight so that they will be plumb and juicy when used in cakes and bread...it turned out quite well I guess, my friends enjoyed it...lol...right guys?IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo
That's all for now from me and my baking spree during the holidays. Gotta get my book review assignment done as it is due tomorrow!JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ
I bet Martha Stewart is proud of me!! Hahahahahaha...
jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

no wonder u keep bugging me to comment la... rupenya belum ada yang comment... muahahaha...
erm, actually i dunno what to say lor... but i think u lupa to say thank u for taking that photo of u and miss lew one... hehe...
well, the cakes looks nice but i dint get the chance to taste it cos u so kedekut... bake for yourself only.... sad la... =(
next time, dun so kedekut.... ish...

Karmun said...

I WAAAAAAANNNNNTTT!!!!

how could you not have brought me some???

look at that chocolate cake and apple pie just taunting at me!

I HATE YOU!!!!

T.T

Desmund Teh said...

Looking at the cakes u produce make the saliva wet my table..look tempting!!

leonard leao said...

To Dionne,

Hahahaha...not bugging u...just giving u the chance to bet the 1st to comment!

leonard leao said...

To Karmun,

Sorry la...i didn't know pics of my cakes can hurt u so bad...lol...will make some for u in the future ok... =)

leonard leao said...

To WTT,

Hahahaha, thanks...do u mean I owe u a new table cloth since u wet urs... =P